Kali Linux is commonly used for digital forensics, penetration testing and security auditing.
Kali Linux is an advanced Penetration Testing OS (Operating System) that is based on Debian and Ubuntu. It is one of the most widely used OS for Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Analysis, and Security Auditing.
Not all laptops are fit for Kali Linux. If you want to use Kali Linux in a virtual machine, your host machine will need to meet some minimum requirements. The most important of these is a processor with virtualization extensions.
Kali Linux will run on almost any Intel, AMD, or VIA processor, but the virtualization extensions are only available on modern Intel processors.
Also, while Kali Linux can run just fine on an older computer, virtualization can use a lot of RAM, so you might need more than 4GB of RAM if you plan to use a virtual machine.
In this post, I am going to help you get the best laptop for Kali Linux. I will look at the factors you need to consider before buying one. Later in this post, I will review five of the best Kali Linux laptops in the market.
Related: Best Laptops for Virtualization
Best Laptops for Kali Linux Buying Guide
There are various factors you need to consider before purchasing a Kali Linux laptop. Make sure you read the guide carefully so that you can know the best laptop that will serve you.
When it comes to computers, CPU is the core of performance. For entry-level Kali Linux laptops, core i3 is good.
For the best performance, go for Intel core i7.
To perform pen-testing operations, you don’t need a monster graphics card all you need is to ensure your laptop has good graphic cards.
The NVIDIA is one of the best graphic cards available in the market today.
On the installation Kali Linux takes up 20 GB. Thus the minimum storage a good laptop for Kali Linux can have is 500GB.
If you need a laptop to operate applications that require high storage go for laptops that have 1TB.
For Kali Linux the battery should last at least ten hours for convenience and working on the go. Kali Linux pen-testing will drain the battery quickly.
Most budget laptops only come in 720p, which is decent enough for small display size. The display resolution will determine how sharp your screen will appear. Because of that aim for at least 1080p display.
The laptop should have the ability to slip into a laptop bag and travel with it anywhere. This is one of the key features you need to consider when buying a laptop for Linux. This makes it a perfect laptop for freelancers.
Related: Best Hackintosh Laptops
Is it illegal to have Kali Linux on your laptop?
No, it is not illegal but in most cases, people use Kali Linux for illegal purposes like hacking.
Can kali Linux be run on Windows 10?
Yes, you can run Kali Linux on Windows 10, but you need to run it on a virtual machine.
What is the minimum RAM to run Kali Linux?
2GB RAM and 20 GB hard disk space are the minimum requirements to run Kali Linux. If you want to run your system smoothly, aim for higher RAM.
What is Kali Linux used for?
Kali Linux is commonly used for penetration testing and security auditing.
Kali contains several hundred tools that are geared towards various information security tasks such as penetration testing, reverse engineering, security research, and computer forensics.
Related: Best 4k Monitor for Console Gaming
Best Laptops for Kali Linux Reviews
Acer Aspire E 15
Acer Aspire E 15 is a good budget laptop. This laptop features a good display and has great performance for running Kali Linux smoothly.
With 8GB RAM and 256 GB of SSD space, this laptop is pretty good for pen-testing. It also features an intel core i7.
- The laptop comes with 8GB RAM and 256GB internal storage.
- Acer Aspire E 15 has a 15.6-inch full HD windscreen display.
- The laptop’s battery can last up to 15 hours. Its charging adapter has 65 watts.
- This Kali Linux laptop features the 8th Generation Intel Core i7 Processor which supports up to 4.0GHz.
- The laptop is installed with Windows 10.
- The original speed rating for its DVD is 8x.
- The laptop has a reliable battery that lasts for up to15 hours, This gives you enough time to complete your tasks.
- The laptop has a great backlit keyboard. You can work comfortably even in poorly-lit rooms.
- Acer Aspire E 15 has great performance thanks to its 8GB RAM and i7 processor.
- This Kali Linux laptop has great graphics.
- The laptop is large and heavy. This makes it trickier to carry it around for long.
- It has a glaring screen, which makes you experience eye fatigue.
- The touchpad’s screens are not physically separate from right/left click buttons; this makes it difficult to make a click.
Related: Best Gaming Keyboard for the Money
Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop
This laptop is a great linux laptop. As you will see, it has a high-performance processor. This laptop offers super performance with a six-core CPU, overclockable graphics and a nice backlit LED display.
These features make it an ideal laptop for using the Kali Linux softwares.
- Acer Predator has a 15.6-inch full HD windscreen with an LED-backlit display. It has a refresh rate of 144Hz.
- The battery lasts up to 7 hours of life (the battery capacity is: 3320 mAh).
- The laptop has 16GB DDR4 RAM and a 256GB SSD hard disk. This is enough space for keeping your files and documents.
- Acer Predator features NVIDIA overclockable graphics card with 6GB of dedicated GDDR5 Video RAM.
- This laptop is an 8th Generation Intel Core i7 Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Windows 10 installed.
- The laptop has a backlit keyboard, which enables you to use your keyboard in poorly-lit rooms.
- The intel core-7 processor is incredibly powerful.
- The laptop has an extra 2.5 inches slot for expandable hard drive.
- Acer Predator has supercharged refresh rates.
- The laptop has immersive sound, which enables you to listen to voices and special effects.
- The drivers are out of date.
- According to some customers, the Acer Predator has issues with overheating.
MSI GV62 8RD-034
MSI GV62 is one of the best Linux laptops in the market. This laptop is great because it meets most of the requirements to run Kali Linux software.
The laptop has 8 RAM and 128GB SSD hard disk. It has a screen display size of 15.6 inches, which is enough size for most people.
- The laptop has a steel series red backlit keyboard.
- MSI GV62 has a 15.6-inch full HD screen with an LED-backlit display.
- The laptop has a new Intel Core i7-8750H processor.
- MSI GV62 has NVIDIA overclockable graphics card with 4G GDDR5.
- The laptop has 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB SSD hard disk. The hard disk capacity is not quite enough for gamers.
- The laptop has a red-backlit customizable keyboard with a brushed cover design and Cooler Boost 4.
- The laptop’s CPU performance is great.
- The laptop has powerful gaming graphics thanks to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti.
- The laptop has a real deal keyboard. Being backlit, you can use the laptop in poorly-lit rooms.
- The laptop has a better cooling system. It features the MSI’s exclusive Cooler Boost technology.
- The battery has an inferior lifespan which lasts for 5 hours only.
- The laptop has a low storage SSD. 128GB storage is not enough for most people.
- It is relatively expensive.
Dell G5587-7866BLK-PUS G5 15 5587 Laptop
Dell G5587 packs an 8th generation intel core i7 processor. This can run the latest games and dozens of programs continuously without a hint of lags or spikes.
This laptop has neat and clear graphics thanks to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 4GB graphics card, which is pretty much standard for most laptops in the market nowadays.
- Dell G5587 packs an 8th generation intel core i7 processor.
- The laptop has 2-in-1 Secure Digital (SD) and MicroMedia card slots.
- The laptop has Windows 10 installed.
- Dell G5587 has a 15.6-inch LED screen display.
- The laptop has 16 GB RAM and 128GB SSD. 16 GB RAM and 128GB storage are enough to run a virtual machine where Kali Linux will run.
- This laptop gives a complete sensory experience with super sound.
- The laptop has superior speed having the latest i7 processor and 16GB RAM.
- The laptop has an optimal cooling system for uninterrupted work.
- The Kali Linux laptop has high-performance graphics.
- The battery discharges while plugged in; it has a battery life of 2 hours.
- According to some customers, the keyboard backlight does not work properly.
Alienware AW17R4-7006SLV-PUS 17″ Laptop
Alienware AW17R4 laptop has a very powerful core i7 processor. The 256GB SSD + 1TB SATA HDD storage capacity is well sufficient to run Kali Linux software.
It also features a 17-inch screen display, which is more than important for most people.
The laptop has an excellent intel core i7 processor that enables smooth and efficient working.
- Alienware AW17R4 laptop packs an 8th generation intel core i7 processor.
- The laptop has a 17.0-inch full HD windscreen with an LED-backlit display. This is good enough for most security engineers.
- The battery lasts for up to 4 hours; this is not quite impressive.
- The laptop has 16 GB RAM and 256GB SSD (+ 1TB SATA HDD).
- Alienware has NVIDIA overclockable graphics with 8 GB of dedicated GDDR5 Video RAM.
- The laptop has a dual-storage component (a 256GB SSD and a 1TB SATA HDD).
- The laptop has a good display, which reduces eye strain while using it.
- The laptop has an excellent core i7 processor that gives out high performance.
- The built-in speakers are good, which produces a super loud sound.
- The laptop is huge; it cannot slip into most laptop bags easily.
- The battery only stays awake for only 4 hours. This battery life is not enough for most people.
In conclusion, keep all the factors in mind such as price, features and use. Make sure you go through each laptop review since all the laptops are unique in their way.
A good laptop should be able to meet all the requirements that are needed to run Kali Linux software.
Where to buy
If you like any of the best laptops for Kali Linux above, you can buy it from your local store or buy it online from any of the stores below:
- E Bay
- Home Depot